Bierhanzl Beeswax

A place for the family tree to know all its' branches....

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I found it!



Here's that cake I've been looking for:)

So I found this recipe on MarthaStewart.com while searching around the Internet for a new and yummy cake to try out. It's Bourbon Banana layer cake. I loved the recipe Because it had Bananas and Buttermilk in the cake, Bourbon, Butter, and Bananas in the center and it is frosted with a whipped Bour Bream Bixture. The only tricky part is making the filling. First you melt the butter and as it begins to brown you add the sliced banana & brown sugar, flip, add bourbon, and ignite with a match, finito! There is always a bit of apprehension that goes along with lighting something on fire in your small kitchen, surrounded by wood cabinets, in a small apartment, in the middle of a state that is in a code red fire risk. I asked Josh to assist with the fire part; I held the pan and Josh lit it on fire.



Woooooo hooooooo! There was a gigantic ball of flames that stretched about 3 feet high and surrounded the telephone book that sits on top of the refrigerator. I'm not being dramatic; it was the biggest flambé I have ever seen. Although we were nervous for a second I figured if I stepped into the middle of the room the fire would dissipate without bringing down all of our belongings with it. The result...a delicious cake that has the wonderful flavor of brown sugar and bourbon that won't leave you tipsy.





I love you Mom and I wish I could be there to eat cake and celebrate with you. I am so glad you had a great time on vacation. You deserve the rest and relaxation. Welcome home. Hugs, kisses, and much love from the Bienko family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

mj, this post makes my day!!
i love you hon.
love you too mom......
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
xoxoxoxoxox

May 24, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

oh-
and the belly looks so sweet under the pretty apron!!

May 24, 2007 3:00 PM  
Blogger amy said...

wow...thanks for posting the latest episode of mj's daredevil stunt kitchen. Is that from the firefighters cookbook? It sounds sooo delicious. Question of the day:What's more flamable than grease and alchohol? Ans.-absolutely nothing! And stop stop stop being so beautiful you make me cry. love you much

May 24, 2007 4:25 PM  
Blogger MaryJo said...

Oh thank you Mama! But really it's the apron. Love you.

May 24, 2007 5:07 PM  
Blogger zara O'Rourke said...

Hmm, MJ that looks good. I dont know if you ever tried a white wine cake. Its basically just a white cake with some wine and sugar as a glaze but it is sugarly sweet, easy to make and delicous. The best part not lighting the liquor on fire.

July 12, 2007 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home